I celebrated my 31st birthday on August 18th. I skipped the usual big celebration (a joint party with my husband, Greg, whose birthday is one day later on the 19th) and opted for a low-key dinner with some good friends.
Birthdays in recent years are like my New Years: a lot of reflection and usually some big “A-Ha” moments. This year was no exception – a lot has happened since I turned 30: I decided to shut down my fashion business, got certified in health coaching, got pregnant, ran the NYC Marathon (while 4 weeks pregnant, whoops!), started my health coaching practice and had a beautiful baby girl.
I’m proud and excited by all that I was able to accomplish this past year, but confess that I haven’t had any sort of rhythm since I was running my fashion business. Now with a newborn in the mix, my routine has gone to hell and it’s very unsettling. So I’ve decided to take time to declare what I want to accomplish this year and I want to put it out there to help keep me accountable.
Below is a list of goals, as well as the reason they’re important to me (having goals is great, but it’s just as important to know WHY you want to accomplish them). I’ll try to work on them throughout the year, but plan on focusing on one per month.
Goal #1: Re-establish my workout routine. (September)
- It feels amazing to be the strongest, most flexible and agile version of myself
- It clears the mind
- I want to run a half or full marathon
- I want to have the strength to play and carry my quickly growing baby
- I want to continue to travel and have active vacations where I can hike, ski or even surf whenever I want
Goal 2: Make healthy cooking a seamless and productive process. (October)
- Iwant to fall in love with cooking
- I want to have a fridge full of healthy meals throughout the week
- I want to advise my clients on how to cook healthy meals
Goal 3: Improve my sleep hygiene. (November)
- Sleep is essential in preventing a whole host of chronic illnesses, such as obesity, cardiovascular disease and mood disorders.
- I want to have energy to do all the things I want to do everyday and do them well!
Goal 4: Meditate 10 minutes everyday (December)
- Reduce stress levels
- Make better decisions and have greater awareness throughout the day
Goal 5: Go on a media detox 1x/quarter for 5 days (January)
- I would love to see if I truly miss being so connected once I’m out of the loop for a few days
- I’m curious about what I fill all that extra time with
Goal 6: Get rid of all toxic cleaning and beauty products (February)
- The largest organ is our skin, and our bodies absorb whatever we put on it. This can cause a whole host of issues, like hormone disruption and allergies, all of which I’d like to avoid.
Goal 7: De-clutter my closet (March)
- Only keep things that bring me joy to wear
- Make it a seamless process to put together an outfit that looks good and makes me feel great
Goal 8: Catch up with important people in my life 1x/month (April)
- I don't want to take the important people in my life for granted. I know I should make time to either see or talk to the people that I love and not let huge chunks of time go by without staying in touch.
Goal 9: Create an easy to manage budget and actually review it once a month (May)
- Have greater visibility into how we’re spending our money
- Make sure we’re spending our money according to what’s important to us
Goal 10: Volunteer for a cause I care about (June)
- I believe I should always make time to help someone less fortunate if I can
- (Selfishly) I know it will serve as an extra reminder to how fortunate I am
Goal 11: Read a book a month (July)
- Satisfy my curiosity on a variety of topic
- Give the brain a workout for something other than work
Goal 12: Stop multi-tasking and do every action with more awareness (August)
- I want my life to be about the quality, not quantity of my experiences
I’ll chronicle my progress here, so follow along to see how I do. And don’t hesitate to share any tips on how you accomplished your goals!